Monday, January 17, 2011

Meal Plan Monday

I told you I would post about what meals I come up with from the groceries that I bought...

First off, prep wise, I always cook the chicken whole (either boil or bake) and make broth. I pull off the meat and freeze in 4 or 5 portions, depending on how large the chicken was. I also either freeze the broth for later use or make soup right away.  This week, I also pre-cooked the ground beef and portioned it into 5 servings. 

Here are the actual meal plans. I will group them according to meat, just so we can see what I'm using.


Misc recipes:

  • Crock pot beans with turkey bacon and cornbread.
  • Baked Potato Bar (toppings: left over chili, salsa, grilled onions, cheese, turkey bacon)
Ground beef recipes: 

  • Manwhich sloppy joe's with homemade whole wheat buns, oven fries, and salad (Manwhich on hand)
  • Ground beef tostadas (tostadas on hand, toppings: refried beans, meat, lettuce, tomato, corn, salsa)
  • shepherds pie
  • cabbage roll casserole
  • chili (made with left over beans)

Sausage recipes:
  • Sausage Spaghetti , salad (homemade sauce on hand)
  • Sausage, sauerkraut and rice
  • Italian rice with sausage and pasta and cooked squash

Chicken recipes:
  • Lemon and garlic chicken pasta with baked broccoli
  • Chicken veggie, rice soup with homemade rolls (freeze leftovers)
  • Pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches with homemade bread and cooked squash
  • Asian shredded chicken coleslaw
WELP, that's it! As you'll have noticed, I only plan out dinners. Lunches usually consist of left overs or whatever else I feel like. We also have turkey breast lunch meat that I bought on super sale and put in the freezer. So, we've been taking some out when we want it and letting it thaw. Oh the wonders of the freezer when buying meats! OH, and you'll notice that I didn't use the other chicken. So- that is a nice little plus. But always there if we find we need it!

Enjoy your own meal planning!




2 comments:

  1. Hi hon!

    I read your other post on what you bought and for how much... very awesome! You know, what I do is plan my meals before I shop... but I think now I might not be saving money from that (other than impulse buy stuff). Thanks for the tips, I am always looking for more ways to save on food and household b/c it seems like the only tangible place to cut down. Bills are what they are, you know? Anywho, I might do a "flip" and try your way next paycheck and see if I can get more creative with the meals AFTER I buy what is on sale. Wow this is a long comment.

    Love ya! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, totally. if you try it, i hope it works as well for you as it does for me!

    ReplyDelete