Saturday, May 19, 2012

DIY Naptime Project--- White flare ankle pants to skinnies

Naptime is sooo wonderful when both kids cooperate! Recently I was able to take that time and convert some white flare ankle pants from GAP into skinnies.

If you would like to make some of your own, grab some pants and follow along. 

The other day, I tried the pants on and decided I wanted to keep them, if they were updated. 

Inside out view. They are a stretch denim. 

I really liked this split side a few years ago. 

I layed them down making sure they were very smooth (inside out) and grabbed a pair of skinnies that I own and like the fit of. I placed the already skinnies on top of the flares and got my fabric chalk (you could use a pencil, or fabric marker, or pen- if you dare). I traced the line of the pant and pinned them so the jean wouldn't move. Then I sewed. 


After I sewed them skinny, I tried them on and adjusted where I wanted them a bit smaller (which happened to be right above the knee). I sewed the adjustment and tried them on again. And then, only then, did I cut off the excess. To finish off the inside seam I chose a zigzag-type stitch and went over the raw edge of jean that I had just created. And WHA-LA, new white skinnies!!!


FYI- you will want to decide what line of the pant you want to sew on. The inside seam of this pair was the fancy seam, so I had to sew the outside seam and remove the flap. But on other pairs you might have to sew the inside seam (or maybe both, depending on how flared your pant is). 


Now go and make yourself some new skinny pants, for FREE!!!!!

1 comment: