Monday, May 28, 2012

DIY Lace Trimmed Shorts

Last post I told you how I went to Goodwill on a quest to fill my desire for colored shorts. I came home with a pair of bright blue/aqua mom jeans that I turned into cuffed shorts and these red shorts. They are No Boundaries brand (Walmart?). I tried them on at the Goodwill and liked the fit and the color, but thought they were a bit short. Thus, I got them with the mindset of adding another inch or so with some lace. 

Here is a step by step of how I turned these "booty" shorts into much more modest lace trimmed shorts. 


Turn your shorts inside out.


Find your lace. I had this eyelet lace in my stash. Lay your lace on top of your shorts, making sure that the right amount is showing from the front view, and start pinning.


 Pin your lace on both legs of the shorts


 Just like so, making sure to fold under where the edges meet so that they won't fray and will look finished.


Then take your shorts to your machine and sew along the hem that already exists. Don't forget to match your thread!


 After your lace is sewn to your shorts, take out the pins and figure out where you want to trim your lace, if you need to.


Start trimming away, being careful not to cut your shorts.


And here they are all trimmed! Now, for the finishing touch, hand stitch the lace ends to each other, so that they don't flap around. Again, with matching thread.


 Now turn your shorts right side out and admire!


 I personally love mine!


So cute! I think the lace adds some length and a feminine touch, don't you?


Time for you to make your own!

5 comments:

  1. Very cute! I hate trying to find shorts that fit well, otherwise I might try this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Cute blog! Its fun to see all the things you have been up to with your girls. :) I happened to find your blog off of another blog of someone we know... anyway, just wanted to pop on and say hi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and I update my blog frequently. Come and see my little guy! www.mypaninipress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super duper cute! I really wanted to add some lace to a pair of shorts but never got around to it. Maybe next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm personally a big fan of himmeandbabymakes3 blog. Thanks for sharing this post.
    clipping path service

    ReplyDelete