Friday, May 25, 2012

DIY- Make Your Own Cuffed Colored Shorts



I love that colored shorts are "IN" right now. So fun! But being the overly $$ aware person that I am, I am always looking for ways to get things for less. And one of those ways is DIYing styles or decorations, or pretty much anything. =)

So instead of heading out to a mainstream store (meaning JCPennies, Dillards or Target, here) to grab myself some new colored shorts I headed over to our HUGE HUGE HUGE Goodwill store (God bless that place).

I had in mind to make some shorts similar to these  shorts found at GAP. And to find some other colors to make into shorts. I ended up finding exactly what I needed!

Today I'm showing you how I took some bright aqua blue mom jeans and turned them into cuffed shorts.



I started out with these.... um, not the most flattering "mom style" jeans. Meaning- they come up a good inch or two above my belly button, and they were high waters!


 Laying the jeans out on the floor, grab some shorts that are a length you are comfortable with (and hopefully flatter you) and lay them on top. Adjust, so that the inseams of the jeans match up.


 Now, grab your sharp sewing scissors and carefully cut about two inches below that point (if you want an inch wide cuff, which I did.) AND be aware that however tapered your jeans are, they might not cuff very well. If the jeans taper too quickly, they will be very bunched up and not look nice. So if you are going for a cuff, you need to look for a pair of jeans that are the same width from the thigh to the knee. Or as close as you can get to that.


Then take the leg you cut off and lay it atop the other leg. Cut accordingly. This helps to make sure that the shorts are the same length. 




Then you will have some shorts that are ready to cuff!! And some left over jean legs to keep and make into something else!!



 Make the cuffs by folding your shorts legs up by one inch and then fold the fold you just made up another inch. Pin in place.


 Now you want to try on your new cuffed shorts to see if you like the length or if you want to adjust it. I liked mine, so I finished them off by hand tacking the cuffs down.


 After you finish tacking your shorts cuffs down, try on your new shorts with a fun top and admire!


You just made some stylin' new shorts for a fraction of the cost of store bought ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment